These crispy sticks are made of a whole emmer croissant dough. After some Emmentaler cheese, sesame, poppy seeds and some twists later your are ready to eat this delicious snack!
Why did I choose to use whole emmer flour?
I find that whole flour and laminated dough fit amazingly together! Additionally I sometimes buy a similar crispy stick at a local market, which I love. It was time for me to finally write a recipe for it and change it to my liking.
Emmer is a precursor of spelt. It is a very healthy grain with a lot of minerals, zinc, iron, magnesium, vitamine E and has a high protein amount.
Satisfying and at the sime time very tasty, a delicious snack!
20:00h Prepare main dough & butter block
09:00h Encase butter in the dough
10:00h 1st Tour
11:00h 2nd Tour
12:00h 3rd Tour
13:00h Shape crispy sticks
15:00h Bake crispy sticks
Whole emmer crispy sticks
- 500 g whole emmer flour
- 180 g water
- 100 g buttermilk
- 10 g yeast
- 10 g honey
- 10 g salt
- 10 g butter
- 200 g butter
- 200 g Emmentaler cheese
- poppy seeds
- The evening before, prepare the main dough. Press flat, cover well and place in the fridge over night.
- Create a square with baking paper, place butter in the middle and roll with the help of a rolling pin until you have an even butter block.
- Place the butter block on a cutting board and place in the fridge over night.
Prepare croissant dough
- The next day start by rolling the dough double as big as the butter and encase the butter in the dough. The butter should be pliable but not too soft. If the butter gets too soft place 30 minutes in the fridge.
- If the dough & butter are not too warm you can start with the first single tour. Place minimum 1 hour in the fridge.
- Do second single tour. Place minimum 1 hour in the fridge.
- Do third single tour. Place minimum 1 hour in the fridge.
Shape crispy sticks
- Roll the dough until it is 40x40cm big.
- Then place the grated cheese on one half and cover with the other half.
- Press the under side of the dough on some poppy seeds and the top side of the dough on sesame seeds.
- Cut 2 cm sticks and twist.
- The final fermentation takes 2 hours at room temperature. Make sure the sticks have doubled in size.
- Immediately before baking brush the sticks with some milk.
- Bake 15 minutes at 230°C (fan oven) and reduce immediately to 210°C.