The so called three grain bread was the bread of the year 2021 in Germany. My version of a three grain bread is a sourdough bread with spelt, rye and sprouted buckwheat. The bread is therefore very aromatic, moist and has a crunchy crust.
My advice for you
Your bread will be perfect if you take specially care of these 3 things:
1) the dough should not be too dry, it should have the consistency of cement. And do not expect to pass the window pane test.
2) for bready with a lot of rye which I bake in a tin, I place the dough directly in the tin (without any shaping on the working surface). I then take a dough scraper, wetten it a bit and spread the dough uniformly, pressing it down at the same time to avoid holes on the bottom. I avoid this way a difficult shaping which also leads to a very dirty working surface.
3) pay attention during the final rise, that the fermentation lines are big enough. Have a look at the pictures I attached to the recipe steps.
Decoration using a stencil
For this bread I thought, that the best decoration would be to use a stencil with the word “DREIKORN” (three corn in German). Therefore I wrote “DREIKORN” with a nice font, made it the right size for my baking tin and cut the inside of the letters with a sharp cutter. After 15 minutes I had my own personalized stencil. Choose a stable paper and you just need to be careful that it does not touch the dough, or it will glue to it. It works as good as bough stencils, in my opinion.
Download your stencil
This bread is only baked with the help of a sourdough starter (in my case made of spelt and 80% hydration). As the bread does not contain any yeast, it is very important that your sourdough is very active. It is therefore important that you feed your sourdough starter a coupple of day regularly. You will see a big difference in the crumb and dough stability. You can read more information about it in the Sourdough: create & feed procedure page.
You will find more recipes using sourdough under the category sourdough breads.
If you have any question or would like to tell me how my recipe turned out, I would love it if you would leave a comment down below. Have fun and enjoy!
20:00h Feed sourdough
08:00h Prepare main dough
08:45h Place dough in the baking tin
10:45h Bake bread
Three grain bread with sprouted buckwheat
- 180 g whole rye flour
- 180 g water 30°C
- 18 g sourdough starter
- 170 g water
- 170 g white rye flour
- 100 g white spelt flour
- 45 g sprouted buckwheat
- 11 g salt
- Dissolve the sourdough starter in the water and then add the flour. Mix everything until all the flour is wet and everything is mixed through.
- Let proof about 12 hours at room temperature. The sourdough should have doubled in size.
- Mix all ingredients 5 minutes at low speed.
- Let rest 45 minutes. Cover so that the dough does not dry out.
- Butter baking tin and sprinkle some rye flour.
- Place the dough in the tin and flatten using a wet spatula.
- Let proof at 28°C until the dough reaches the top of the baking tin (in my case it took 90-120 minutes). It should have holes as in the picture. If you don't see them, then proof longer.
- You can at this point use my stencil and using some white spelt flour write "Dreikorn" on it.
- Place in a preheated oven at 230°C and reduce the temperature immediately to 210°C. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the core temperature of the bread reaches 97°C.