These sourdough crackers are very aromatic thanks to the high amount of sourdough discard. The seeds, flakes and your favorite whole flour make these crackers to a very healthy snack, which you will not regret!
Add water to your sourdough discard until you can easily mix it with a spoon. When I use only discards of my 40% hydration Lievito Madre, I mix it with water using the mixer until completely dissolved.
I do not add any water when using discards of my sourdough starters at 80-100% hydration.
I like to use oat, barley or spelt flour. Your favorite whole flour will for sure work. You do not need to roll the dough. I like to spread it with a dough scraper, so it is not a problem if you use a bit too much water and if you use gluten free or low gluten flours.
- 100 g sourdough discard or 55g flour and 45g water
- 0-45 g water See notes at the end of the recipe
- 45 g whole flour See notes at the end of the recipe
- 15 g flakes
- 15 g flaxseeds crashed
- 15 g sesame seeds
- 20 g olive oil
- 5 g barley malt extract
- 3 g salt
- If you use a dry sourdough discard, mix it with so much water as needed until you can mix it with a spoon (it needs to have a similar consistency to a 80-100% hydration starter). (See notes at the end of the recipe)
- Add all other ingredients and mix well.
- With the help of a dough scraper spread the dough on a baking sheet and place on a baking tray.
- Cut the Crackers in your desired shape with the help of a pizza cutter or a sharp knife.
- You can leave them as they are or top them with some cheese and poppy seeds.
- Bake them at 180°C (fan oven) until they are crunchy. The baking time depends on the thickness of the crackers.