This autumnal tart is made of a shortcrust base and filled with an almond frangipane. The pears get poached in pear juice and the almonds get roasted for even more deliciousness. The autumn can come!
Aquafaba as an egg replacer
I am an aquafaba fan, after being able to bake macarons with it. It can also be used to transform other kinds of recipes to be egg free, even when you do not need to whisk them. In this frangipane the aquafaba takes care that the creme is fluffy.
Veganize the recipe
This recipe is very easy to modify to be completely vegan. As it does not contain any eggs already, you simply need to change the butter through a vegan alternative. Done!
Pear tart with roasted almonds (with spelt & egg free)
- 60 g white spelt flour
- 30 g butter
- 10 g powdered sugar
- 8 g almonds ground, without skin
- 5 g water
- 15 g sunflower oil
- 35 g light brown sugar
- 10 g white spelt flour
- 45 g aquafaba
- 60 g almonds ground, without skin
- 4 pears
- 1 liter pear juice
- 100 g almonds whole, with skin
- 100 g sugar
- 50 g water
- Mix water and sugar in a pan and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the sugar has dissolved in the water and the sirup starts to cook add the almonds and cook further at a medium heat.
- Continue cooking until all the water has evaporated and the sugar starts to crystalize.
- Then place almonds on a baking paper and spread them so that they do not glue to each other.
- Peal pears and carefully remove the core.
- Place in a pot and cover with juice.
- Bring to a boil and cook 15 -20 minutes until the pears get soft.
- Let cool in the juice and store in the fridge.
Prepare shorcrust pastry
- Mix all ingredients. Let cool in the fridge at least 4 hours.
Place shortcrust in the tart molds
- Mix the dough a little bit with the hands to soften. Roll the dough until it is 3mm thick and 4-5 cm bigger than the tart mold.
- Fit in the mold and cut the outstanding parts with a sharp knife. Poke some holes on the base with the help of a fork.
- Place the tart dough with the baking sheet in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Pre-bake shortcrust pastry
- Pre-bake the shortcrust pastry at 165°C (fan oven) during 9 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients for the frangipane.
- Divide between the tarts and bake further 20 minutes at 165°C (fan oven) or until golden brown.
- To assemble the tarts remove pears from the juice and let dry for a few minutes. Place on top of the cooled tarts and decorate with the roasted almonds.