This apple cake contains the perfect combination of textures and smells: the base is nutty and crispy, the apples are juicy and slightly sour, the flaked almonds on the top are lightly toasted and crunchy.
Original recipe from the German Podcast “Nachtschicht”
After seeing so many pictures in the Facebook group Cakemania of the “fruity apple cake” from Ingmar Krimmerit was sure I had to try the recipe (in German). After reading it, I knew the cake would definately be of my taste. However and as you already know, I have some handicaps when eating baked goods. The wheat flour, the eggs and the amount of sugar are problems for me, as they are all part of my trigger list. I therefore decided to use whole barley flour instead of the wheat flour, replaced the sugar with date paste, included some raisins in the filling and removed the sugar, used a plant-based cream instead of the egg and on top of that switched the butter with oil. This means the recipe is adapted to use whole flours, is vegan, wheat free and additional sugar free. I find that after all this changes the recipe keeps its character and the taste is amazing!
I would also take the chance to recommend the podcast: it is very relaxed and very informative.
Why I like to sweeten with dates
Dates are full of nutrients, fiber and antioxidants, which have numerous health benefits and can even protect from developing some illnesses. The digestion gets boosted thanks to the high amount of fiber and the dates upport the bowel movements. Therefore I prefer to use dates whenever possible.
If you have any question or would like to tell me how my recipe turned out, I would love it if you would leave a comment down below. Have fun and enjoy!
Juicy apple cake (vegan, additional sugar free)
- 250 g whole barley flour Optional: any other whole flour
- 100 g neutral oil
- 100 g date paste *See notes
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 g raisins
- 700 g apples Jonagold, Boskop...
- 1 lemon
- 30 g almonds ground
- 80 g plant-based cream
- 1/4 vanilla bean
- 35 ml plant-based milk
- 120 g flaked almonds
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Let rest 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Place dough in the baking pan and press until the dough fills the bottom uniformly.
- Let the raisins soak in water 10 minutes. Remove the water.
- Peel apples, remove the cores and slice thinly.
- Press the lemon to get lemon juice. Mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Spread filling on the crust.
- Spread flaked almonds on top of the filling.
- Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the cake.
- Bake at 190°C heat on top and bottom without fan for about 35-40 minutes.