These brownies have all what I wished: fudgy, chocolatey and healthy! Healthy, because they are baked with whole spelt flour and sweetened with pumpkin puree, applesauce and dates.
I like it best when I prepare the pumpkin puree myself. I bake a small pumpkin (usually a Hokkaido) cut in small pieces without oil or spices at a 200°C hot oven. I bake the pumpkin pieces until cooked through and they begin to caramelize. Let them cool, press with a fork to create a puree and place in the fridge so that it is ready to be used.
Try it, you will love them!
Brownies with pumpkin (vegan, additional sugar free)
- 250 g pumpkin puree
- 100 g applesauce
- 200 g almond milk
- 125 g dates
- 80 g sunflower oil
- 175 g whole spelt flour
- 50 g cacao powder
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 20 g walnuts chopped
- Mix the dates with the oil and the milk and mix it together.
- Mix the pumpkin puree with the applesauce and add to the previous mixture.
- Mix all dry ingredients - flour, cacao powder, baking powder, salt - in another bowl.
- Mix the dry and the wer ingredients together.
- Grease the baking form with some coconut oil and flour lightly.
- Then add the dough and flatten it. Decorate with the walnuts.
- Bake for about 35 minutes at 175°C (fan-oven). Do not forget to test if it is done using a toothpick.