These spelt buns get a new taste by using puffed amaranth. The bulk fermentation takes place in the fridge so that you can prepare the dough in the evening and have fresh buns the next morning.
Amaranth is a pseudo-cereal with less carbohydrates and more vitamins than most of the grains. It has a nutty taste and can be bought either raw or puffed. Amaranth is perfect in salads or as a casserole when cooked. I like to use it puffed in mueslis or energy bars.
If you have any question or would like to tell me how my recipe turned out, I would love it if you would leave a comment down below. Have fun and enjoy!
17:00h Perpare soaker & feed Lievito Madre
20:30h Prepare main dough
22:00h Place proofing box in the fridge
07:00h Preheat oven & prepare triangles
07:45h Bake buns
Amaranth triangles (using sourdough discard)
- 100 g milk
- 35 g puffed amaranth
- 400 g water
- 460 g white spelt flour
- 180 g whole spelt flour
- 120 g Lievito Madre (unfed or freshly fed) *alternative: 160g sourdough starter, use 40g less water
- 35 g chia seeds
- 17 g salt
- 3 g fresh yeast
- Mix all ingredients well and let rest at least 4 hours in the fridge.
Main dough & bulk fermentation
- Mix all ingredients - except the salt and the yeast - 5 minutes at low speed. Let rest 20 minutes.
- Add salt and yeast and mix 2 minutes further until well kneaded.
- Place the dough in a proofing box and let kick-start fermentation 1-1,5 hours at room temperature (23°C). Place the proofing box in the fridge over night.
- The dough should have doubled in size. If not let further ferment at room temperature until it happens.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured working surface and divide into 6 pieces (you should create squares).
- Divide every square into 2 pieces so that you create triangles.
- Press the triangles carefully into some puffed amaranth. Place on a baking paper and let proof 30 minutes at room temperature (23°C).
- Place in the preheated oven at 250°C on a baking steel/stone and create steam. Reduce the temperature to 230°C and bake 10 minutes. Remove the steam and bake further 10 minutes without steam.